Island Eye Surgicenter is proud of our commitment to providing safe and quality patient care. One of the ways our team has demonstrated this commitment is by voluntarily seeking out and earning accreditation through the Accreditation Association for Ambulatory Health Care (AAAHC). In this post, we explain what the AAAHC is, how we earned accreditation and what that means for our patients.
What Is the AAAHC?
Founded in 1979, the AAAHC is a private non-profit organization that sets forth nationally recognized standards for the provision of quality health care. It is the largest accreditation organization for ambulatory health care facilities and accredits more than 6,000 organizations, including medical and dental practices, community health centers and ambulatory surgery centers.
How Did We Earn Accreditation from the AAAHC?
To be accredited, the Island Eye Surgicenter voluntarily went through a rigorous on-site survey process with an external team of auditors who looked at multiple factors.
Here are a few examples of what the AAAHC looked for when they audited our practice:
- Do we provide our patients with complete information about their diagnosis, treatment options, rights and responsibilities?
- Do we have procedures in place to confirm the qualifications of our employees?
- Do we maintain a secure health information system?
- Do we participate in an ongoing quality improvement program?
- Do we adhere to nationally recognized infection control guidelines?
- Do we comply with state and local building codes?
- Are our anesthesia services supervised by a qualified physician?
- Are our health care professionals licensed to perform the surgical procedures offered?
We satisfied all of these requirements (and more). The AAAHC auditors recognized us for our commitment to excellence, adherence to safety protocols and clear focus on positive patient outcomes.
What This Means for Patients
Our accreditation status means that our patients can expect safe, high-quality care in a clean, well-maintained and expertly staffed surgical center. AAAHC accreditation is an emblem of our commitment to patient safety and satisfaction.
We are constantly looking for ways to improve our quality of care and services. To maintain our accreditation, we must participate in ongoing self-evaluation, peer review and continuing education.
If you would like to learn more about our surgical center and the eye care services we offer, please contact us today by calling (516) 877-2400 or (516) 877-1560. We look forward to meeting (and exceeding!) your expectations.